Pet Surgical Services at Animal Emergency & Specialty
Should your pet need emergency or elective surgery, AES offers a variety of soft-tissue and orthopedic surgical services. Our talented, board-certified surgeon and knowledgeable nursing staff will carefully explain the treatment plan, including the risks, costs, and aftercare.
our board-certified surgeon
Dr. Kelci McKeirnan is the pack leader of our Surgery Team! Dr. McKeirnan grew up right here in Kirkland and received her DVM from Washington State University. She then traveled to Oklahoma State University, where she completed her small animal surgery residency and earned a master’s degree in Veterinary Biomedical Sciences. She became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2013. Before joining AES, Dr. McKeirnan was a faculty member at Oklahoma State University’s Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, where she regularly performed soft-tissue, orthopedic and neurologic surgeries as well as trained and mentored residents and veterinary students. She was instrumental in saving pets’ lives after the devastating tornadoes, which ripped through Oklahoma in the summer of 2013.
why choose AES for your pet’s surgical needs?
- New, state-of-the-art facility with pet- and eco-friendly design features, open 24/7/365!
- Progressive, specialty-hospital medicine with personalized, small-business client service.
- Only family-owned (non-corporate) 24-hour specialty hospital remaining on the Eastside.
- We do not hire residents. You can rest assured that your pet’s specialty surgery will be performed by a board-certified surgeon.
- Talented board-certified surgeon and knowledgeable nursing staff who will carefully explain the treatment plan, including risks, costs, and aftercare.
- Comprehensive in-house laboratory and advanced digital imaging equipment with board-certified radiologist’s review 24/7/365 to facilitate speedy and accurate diagnoses and treatment options.
- Around-the-clock emergency and critical care services, with at least one DVM on premises at all times. The ECC Team includes a board-certified critical care specialist and nurses with specialty certification.
- Cutting-edge patient monitoring equipment to make sure your pet stays comfortable before, during, and after surgery.
- Separate cat and dog ICUs with ambient lighting to minimize stress and promote healing.
- Full-service rehabilitation department offering a variety of modalities to achieve a faster and more complete recovery.
- Close collaboration with you, your family veterinarian, and a network of specialists to ensure continuity of care.
Things to consider before your pet needs surgery
A spay is a spay, right? Wrong! Think all veterinary surgeons and facilities are the same? Think again! Veterinarians and veterinary practices can vary greatly in how they approach surgeries—in terms of preoperative services, monitoring during surgery, surgical experience, post-operative care, and pain management just to name a few. Knowing what questions to ask before your pet needs surgery will help you choose the veterinarian and veterinary hospital that most closely matches your values. For a list of factors to consider, please see “Top Five Questions to Ask Before Your Pet Needs Surgery!” (link to topic here) under Helpful Tips.
sample surgical services
Below is a partial list of the surgical services AES offers. Additional services are available. Our pricing is extremely competitive. Please call us for current information.
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Tibial plateau leveling osteotomy (TPLO)
- Shoulder stabilization
- Fracture repair
- Tarsal and carpal arthrodesis
- Tendon repair
- OCD of shoulder, elbow, stifle, or tarsus
- Patella luxation
- Coxofemoral luxations
- Extracapsular stifle stabilization
- Soft Tissue Surgery
- Mass removal and reconstruction
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Brachycephalic airway procedures
- Total ear canal ablation and bulla osteotomy
- Laryngeal paralysis
- Hernia repairs
- Thyroid/parathyroid gland removal
- Hepatobiliary procedures
- Urogenital surgery
- Wound management