Common household items and “people food” may be harmful or even deadly to your pet!
Please keep the following items out of reach of your furry or feathered family members. If you suspect your pet has ingested any of the items below, please immediately contact AES, your family veterinarian, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888.426.4435—fee applies)!
Pet Toxins include:
- Onions, garlic, and chives
- Grapes and raisins
- Macadamia nuts
- Yeast dough
- Mold and moldy foods
- Fruit seeds and pits
- Wild mushrooms
- Sugarless gum, candy, toothpaste, peanut butter, etc. (due to Xylitol)
- Human medications (Advil, Tylenol, etc.)
- Cleaning products
- Fertilizers and pesticides
- Slug/snail bait
- Rat/mouse/mole poison
If possible, please bring along a sample of potential toxins your pet may have eaten–including any packaging. This will often allow us to expedite treatment. Thank you!
Toxic Plants and How to Identify Them
The ASPCA publishes a searchable database of commonly-encountered toxic plants (including pictures) on its website. If you suspect your pet may have ingested any toxic plant, please immediately call AES, your family veterinarian, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888.426.4435—fee applies)!